Welcome to the Transportation Department.
Transportation Department Responsibilities
Gainesville City Schools empowers parents and students to choose which school best suit their educational needs based on attendance clusters and availability at their school of choice. Free bus transportation is provided to all students living within the city school district regardless of distance. The bus driver is in charge of the bus. Students must comply with the instructions of the driver.
Important Information for Bus Riders
- No parents allowed on the bus. If there is a bus issue the driver will furnish a card with contact information to the transportation office.
- Drivers are not allowed to discuss bus issues while on the bus route.
- Drivers are instructed to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity they might see to the transportation office.
Emergency Evacuation - When might you evacuate a bus?
- Emergency where you need to leave the bus quickly
There are three ways to evacuate a bus:
- Front Door
- Back Door
- Front and Rear Door
In all type of evacuations you should:
- Listen to the bus driver's instruction
- Remain quiet and calm
- Stay seated until it is your turn to leave the bus
- Unload letting seats take turn from side to side
Bus Safety Rules:
- You should arrive at the bus stop five minutes ahead of time
- Wait 12 feet away from the edge of the road
- Let the bus come to a complete stop before you move
- Never cross the street behind the bus
- If you get on the wrong bus by mistake, tell the driver
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into a car with a stranger. Tell your bus driver, your teacher, or your parents if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.